Premier Cycle Co.

Modified: 2009/06/29 09:48 by ctmadmin - Tagged as: Coventry Premier, Premier, Raglan, Singer, William Hillman
Image

the massive Premier cycle factory at Read Street

The Premier Company were cycle makers initially before later engaging in motor production in Coventry.

In 1875, the Hillman & Herbert Cycle Company was established by William Hillman and William Herbert. The following year they were joined by George B. Cooper to form Hillman, Herbert & Cooper.

In 1892 the company changed its name to the Premier Cycle Company after the 'Premier' cycles they had been making for many years became so successfull.

It was not until 1908 that the company first built their first motorcycle, many years after many of their rivals had done so. A cyclecar was added by 1912, but by 1914 onwards, all future vehicles were sold under the 'Coventry Premier' name whilst under the ownership of the Singer Co.
Culture Coventry Limited; Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 8359113; Registered under the Charities Act 1960, Registration No. 1152899
Culture Coventry Ventures Limited - Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 5263892
Culture Coventry Events Limited – Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 8108478
Registered Offices – Herbert Art Gallery & Museum, Jordan Well, Coventry CV1 5QP

Cookie Policy  || Copyright 2012 || Designed by LightMedia