Coventry Climax built Fork-Lift Trucks as well as engines
Coventry Climax were specialist engine builders based in Coventry.
The Company began in 1903, when ex-Daimler
employee H. P. Lee joined forces with a Danish engineer called Stroyer, establishing the business of Lee-Stroyer at a small factory at East Street. After two years, Stroyer moved on, and Lee renamed the company Coventry-Simplex.
Interestingly, the 1914 Antarctic Expedition led by Sir Ernest Shackleton used tractors powered by engines built by Lee.
Now under the management of his son Leonard Lee, throughout the period of 1925-1936, quite a large proportion of vehicles manufactured in England were using engines made by the firm (by this time known as Coventry Climax) including AJS, Clyno, Swift
Coventry Climax also began making fire-pumps, as well as marine engines and fork-lift trucks from the 1930s, most successfully the ET 199. Yet it was the company's involvent with developing racing engines during the 1950s-1960s that brought them the most fame. Based on modifications to their fire-pump engine designs, these Grand-Prix and Club racing engines saw the company lead the way in supplying engines to power F1 cars for over a decade.
In 1963, the company was purchased by Jaguar