Modified: 2009/12/03 10:56 by ctmadmin - Tagged as: Maudslay, Parkside, Standard
The Maudslay Motor Company was set up in 1901 at Parkside, Coventry by Cyril Maudslay – a direct descendant from the family famous for building marine engines.

Here they built three, four and six cylinder cars until the outbreak of WWI, when they primarily concentrated on the production of commercial vehicles. These pre-War cars included models such as the 27, the 35/45, and the 3308cc 17.

After the War in 1923, a single 15/80 Prototype car was tested but with little market success, even though the Autocar magazine of the time stated it was ‘the most talked about car of the year’. Rover Director Alexander Craig became Chairman of Maudslay at around this time where the majority output of motor vehicles consisted of passenger types. To support this, in 1925 32 bus and coach chassis, and 89 Lorries were produced. The following year, 223 vehicles were built of which 144 were passenger coaches.

Although the Maudslay Company had been experiencing severe financial difficulties, the 1930s saw the introduction of their ‘Six-Four’ powered by a Gardner 4LW diesel engine. Although this and other vehicles brought about an upturn in sales, it was short-lived and Cyril Maudslay stood down as Director in 1937.

In the early 1950s the Parkside factory was sold to Cornercroft Engineering, and all production transferred to a new site at Alcester, aptly called ‘Castle Maudslay’.
Culture Coventry Limited; Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 8359113; Registered under the Charities Act 1960, Registration No. 1152899
Culture Coventry Ventures Limited - Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 5263892
Culture Coventry Events Limited – Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 8108478
Registered Offices – Herbert Art Gallery & Museum, Jordan Well, Coventry CV1 5QP

Cookie Policy  || Copyright 2012 || Designed by LightMedia