Coventry Victor

Modified: 2009/05/21 09:42 by ctmadmin - Tagged as: Coventry Victor, Montgomery
Image

Coventry Victor specialised in engine making predominately


The Coventry Victor Company were primarily an engine manufacturing firm but also made motorcycles and cyclecars during the 1920s and 1930s.

Messrs. Morton & Weaver were thought to have first formed a partnership around 1904 as 'engineers and toolmakers', but it wasn't until 1911 that they also established the foundations of the Coventry Victor Company at Cox Street, opposite the works of the cycle and motorcycle makers Bayliss, Thomas and Company. Here, Coventry Victor began building engines and sidecars, and by 1919, high-powered motorcycles of their own making.

In the mid-1920s they also expanded to develop cycle-cars but by 1938, they opted to concentrate on general engineering where they profited with lucrative contracts during WWII.

The central devastation of Coventry as a result of the Coventry Blitz saw many companies homeless, and subsequent developments forced many to vacate. Coventry Victor found suitable premises at Humber Avenue and remained in business right the way through to 1991.
Culture Coventry Limited; Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 8359113; Registered under the Charities Act 1960, Registration No. 1152899
Culture Coventry Ventures Limited - Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 5263892
Culture Coventry Events Limited – Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 8108478
Registered Offices – Herbert Art Gallery & Museum, Jordan Well, Coventry CV1 5QP

Cookie Policy  || Copyright 2012 || Designed by LightMedia