Image

Harry Lawson also had a hand in the Coventry Motor Co.

The Coventry Motor Company (CMC) were a firm of motorised tricycle makers based in Coventry.

Beginning in around 1897, the Coventry Motor Company were yet another of Harry J. Lawson's motoring creations, working out of addresses at both Parkside, and Conduit Yard - an ancient courtyard off mediaeval Spon Street. Having purchased the UK rights to build 'Leon Bollee' designs, Lawson called this new three-wheeled vehicle the Coventry Motette - supposedly aimed at the female market, and appointed C. M. Turrell to manage affairs.

One of these 3.5hp machines was driven by a Mrs. H. De Veulle from Coventry to London to promote the vehicle later that year. This type of stunt was typical of Lawson, and acted to both demonstrate the Motette's reliabilty, and the fact that it could be handled by a woman.

As Lawson became evermore involved with many other business deals, the Coventry Motor Co. fell out of favour and ceased to trade around 1903.
Culture Coventry Limited; Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 8359113; Registered under the Charities Act 1960, Registration No. 1152899
Culture Coventry Ventures Limited - Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 5263892
Culture Coventry Events Limited – Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 8108478
Registered Offices – Herbert Art Gallery & Museum, Jordan Well, Coventry CV1 5QP

Cookie Policy  || Copyright 2012 || Designed by LightMedia