Humber Staff Car

Modified: 2009/06/29 09:58 by ctmadmin - Tagged as: Coventry Transport Museum, Humber, Humber Staff Car
Image

Monty's 1943 Humber Staff Car as seen at the Museum

1943 HUMBER STAFF CAR

This open-tourer, based on the Super Snipe and built by Thrupp & Maberly to War Office designs, was used by Field Marshall Lord Montgomery as his staff car from the D-Day Landing until the end of the War.

Known as “The Victory Car”, this 4.5 litre six-cylinder vehicle covered over 60,000 miles in less than 12 months, was in constant use during the invasion and needed only routine maintenance. It is capable of 70 mph and the big side-valve engine is very quiet and will return approximately 20 mpg when driven reasonably.

In 1970 this car was placed in the control of the Museum by the Talbot Company for permanent inclusion in the collection. The brass plates on the car’s doors denote:

THE VICTORY CAR THE HUMBER STAFF CAR NO. M239485 WAS USED BY FIELD MARSHALL THE RT. HON. THE VISCOUNT MONTGOMERY OF ALAMEIN K.G. G.C.B. D.S.O. FROM NORMANDY TO BERLIN JUNE 6TH 1944 - AUGUST 25TH 1945.

It was returned by the War Office from Germany 26th July 1947 in order that it should take its place with the Field Marshall’s other staff car, “Old Faithful” No. M239459, which was presented to the Rootes Group as a tribute to the service given by Humber Company Cars on all War fronts.

this car can be seen in the Museum's Blitz section.
Culture Coventry Limited; Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 8359113; Registered under the Charities Act 1960, Registration No. 1152899
Culture Coventry Ventures Limited - Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 5263892
Culture Coventry Events Limited – Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 8108478
Registered Offices – Herbert Art Gallery & Museum, Jordan Well, Coventry CV1 5QP

Cookie Policy  || Copyright 2012 || Designed by LightMedia