Omega

Modified: 2009/06/29 09:28 by ctmadmin - Tagged as: Coventrys Motorcycle Heritage, Humber, Omega, Premier, William Hillman
Image

This Omega was recently placed at the Museum by the BMCT

Omega was a name given to a range of motorcycles once made in Coventry.

William James Green 1st joined the Humber Company at Beeston, before transferring to Coventry in 1896. By 1905, he was contracted to William Hillman’s Premier Company, gradually progressing to a high position in sales.

After the war in 1918, Green decided to start a business of his own making motorcycles. He chose the name of 'Omega' for his machines, found premises initially at Croft Road, and registered the company as ‘W. J. Green Ltd. – Motor Engineers’. Early on, Green developed an engine of his own making, and a motorcycle, and exhibited such products at the 1919 International Cycle, Motor Cycle & Accessories Exhibition at Olympia in London.

Apart from making his own range of motorcycles, including the ‘Omegette’ Green also built sidecars from 1920 and a three-wheeled car between 1925-27.
Culture Coventry Limited; Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 8359113; Registered under the Charities Act 1960, Registration No. 1152899
Culture Coventry Ventures Limited - Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 5263892
Culture Coventry Events Limited – Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 8108478
Registered Offices – Herbert Art Gallery & Museum, Jordan Well, Coventry CV1 5QP

Cookie Policy  || Copyright 2012 || Designed by LightMedia