Image

The Motor Manufacturing Company works around 1898

The Motor Manufacturing Company was a maker of engines and motorized vehicles in Coventry at the turn of the 19th Century in Coventry.

In 1896, Harry J. Lawson had established the Great Horseless Carriage Company at the Motor Mills and soon after, the Daimler Company. By around 1898, investors in the Great Horseless Carriage Co. became frustrated at the lack of any product or return. To counter this, Lawson acted quickly to re-invent the company as the Motor Manufacturing Co., creating engines for supply whilst making Coventry built copies of Werner motorcycles as well as tricycles and quadricycles powered by copies of De Dion engines.

Lawson chose George Iden, formerly of the Great Horseless Carriage Co. to continue to manage affairs and soon he had designed a number of MMC powered motorcycles and quadricycles, as well as cars including the ‘Princess’ two-seater and the larger ‘Sandringham’ model along the Phaeton lines of design.

Their main business however remained in the supply of their popular MMC engines which the sold successfully until around 1905 when the business relocated from the Motor Mills to London until closure in 1907.
Culture Coventry Limited; Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 8359113; Registered under the Charities Act 1960, Registration No. 1152899
Culture Coventry Ventures Limited - Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 5263892
Culture Coventry Events Limited – Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 8108478
Registered Offices – Herbert Art Gallery & Museum, Jordan Well, Coventry CV1 5QP

Cookie Policy  || Copyright 2012 || Designed by LightMedia