The British Motor Syndicate was an organisation established by Harry J. Lawson.

It was registered by Lawson, becoming Chairman, in November 1895 with a capital of £150,000 – increased to £1,000,000 in £1 shares by May 1896. Lawson was the principal shareholder, and soon some other very high-profile names became associated with the syndicate including Gottlieb Daimler, F. R. Simms, and Henry Sturmey amongst others.

The purpose of the syndicate was to ‘promote the manufacture of the auto-car’ and to purchase foreign patent rights so as to monopolise the motor industry in Great Britain before it had even started. Patent rights secured by Lawson included Daimler, Panhard Levassor, De Dion et Bouton, Leon Bollee and others.

Under the umbrella of the British Motor Syndicate, The Daimler Motor Company and the Great Horseless Carriage Company were set up in 1896, and based at a newly acquired site, soon adapted to commence with the manufacture of motor vehicles – The Motor Mills.

After a promising start, all went well for Lawson and his companies but this would come to an abrupt end. The British Motor Syndicate became the British Motor Traction Company in 1901, the Great Horseless Carriage Company became the Motor Manufacturing Company (MMC) in 1898, and Lawson ended up being shamed and prosecuted in 1904 charged with conspiracy to defraud.

In connection to Lawson, Daimler were the only ones to become a real market success, yet by this time, Lawson had no ties with the business.





Culture Coventry Limited; Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 8359113; Registered under the Charities Act 1960, Registration No. 1152899
Culture Coventry Ventures Limited - Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 5263892
Culture Coventry Events Limited – Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 8108478
Registered Offices – Herbert Art Gallery & Museum, Jordan Well, Coventry CV1 5QP

Cookie Policy  || Copyright 2012 || Designed by LightMedia