Armstrong Siddeley Motor Co.

Modified: 2011/03/21 12:56 by ctmadmin - Tagged as: Armstrong Siddeley, Coventry Transport Museum, Parkside
Image

The Armstrong-Siddeley 'Star Sapphire' model

Armstrong Siddeley were famous motorcar manufacturers that ran from 1919 to 1960 in Coventry.

It was John Davenport Siddeley (1866-1956) who in 1902 established the Siddeley Autocar Company at Garfield Road, Coventry, initially as importers of Peugeot cars. After a brief stint working for the Wolseley Tool & Motor Car Company, in 1909, he became Lord Kenilworth and Managing Director of the Deasy Motor Company. By 1911, the business was reformed as the Siddeley-Deasy Motor Manufacturing Company at Parkside, Coventry. Armstrong-Siddeley Motors Ltd began soon after the conclusion of WWI in 1919 after a merger between the Armstrong-Whitworth and Siddeley-Deasy companies.

Recognized for building cars with large 'V' radiators, the company were reportedly the very first to introduce a completely new post-War model. Some of the names for these vehicles were clearly inspired by the aeroplanes used during the War including the 'Hurricane' and the 'Lancaster'.

Production lasted until 1960 in Coventry, with the 'Star Sapphire' being the last model made. At this point, the parent company Hawker-Siddeley merged with the Bristol Company.
Culture Coventry Limited; Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 8359113; Registered under the Charities Act 1960, Registration No. 1152899
Culture Coventry Ventures Limited - Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 5263892
Culture Coventry Events Limited – Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 8108478
Registered Offices – Herbert Art Gallery & Museum, Jordan Well, Coventry CV1 5QP

Cookie Policy  || Copyright 2012 || Designed by LightMedia