Alvis Motor Co.

Modified: 2017/02/16 11:38 by admin - Tagged as: Alvis, Coventry Transport Museum, Rover
T. G. John (1880-1944) was formerly works manager at the Siddeley-Deasy Motor Company before establishing the Alvis Motor Company. Alvis soon found a reputation for making quality sports and touring models, particularly during the 1920s and 1930s including the 14/40, the 12/50 sports, the 'Silver Eagle', the 'Crested Eagle' and the 'Speed' series. In 1920 they became the first British car manufacturers to offer a front-wheel drive model.

During WWII they became more and more active in military projects, and in 1965 were taken over by the Rover Company. Alvis quickly became associated with the production of high quality military vehicles, and their last cars were built in 1967.

Alvis as a company remained based in Coventry until 1998 when the main operations moved to Telford. The original works on Holyhead Road have been demolished and the site now forms a retail park aptly called ‘Alvis’.

Culture Coventry Limited; Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 8359113; Registered under the Charities Act 1960, Registration No. 1152899
Culture Coventry Ventures Limited - Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 5263892
Culture Coventry Events Limited – Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 8108478
Registered Offices – Herbert Art Gallery & Museum, Jordan Well, Coventry CV1 5QP

Cookie Policy  || Copyright 2012 || Designed by LightMedia