Image

an 1898 Beeston Quadricycle

Beeston (or New Beeston) were cycle and motor manufacturers based in Coventry.

In 1896, Harry J. Lawson , paramount in the beginnings of Coventry's motor trade, purchased the ailing Quinton Cycle Company and introduced the Beeston Cycle & Motor Companies into the building on Parkside.

Quinton's former owner Samuel Gorton was appointed Manager of the concerns where they began making motorised tricycles using De Dion principles as well as cycles. One of these Beeston machines was then used in the very first London to Brighton run - the only British entry.

A 3.5hp light car was built for a limited period in 1899 but by the turn of the Century, the business was wound up. The Swift Company would later make use of the same building on Parkside, which is today used as a hotel.
Culture Coventry Limited; Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 8359113; Registered under the Charities Act 1960, Registration No. 1152899
Culture Coventry Ventures Limited - Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 5263892
Culture Coventry Events Limited – Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 8108478
Registered Offices – Herbert Art Gallery & Museum, Jordan Well, Coventry CV1 5QP

Cookie Policy  || Copyright 2012 || Designed by LightMedia