Image

the R & H 'Super Lightweight' motorcycle

Ravenhall and Hailstone were once makers of lightweight motorcycles based in Coventry.

The R & H motorcycle, as it was commonly known, was introduced in 1922 by G. Ravenhall and J. Hailstone. Birmingham born Ravenhall moved to Coventry around 1910, and later found employment at the Rover Cycle Company.

In 1922 he formed a partnership with a Kenilworth Draper called Hailstone. Hailstone provided capital and premises at Clay Lane and left the rest to Ravenhall, who was completely responsible for the design and production of the motorcycle. This took the form of a ‘Super Lightweight’ machine fitted with a 147cc Villiers engine.

Being such a small concern, it is believed that only around 30 machines were ever built and sold between 1922 and 1925.

A 1923 R & H motorcycle can be seen in the Museum's motorcycle gallery.
Culture Coventry Limited; Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 8359113; Registered under the Charities Act 1960, Registration No. 1152899
Culture Coventry Ventures Limited - Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 5263892
Culture Coventry Events Limited – Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 8108478
Registered Offices – Herbert Art Gallery & Museum, Jordan Well, Coventry CV1 5QP

Cookie Policy  || Copyright 2012 || Designed by LightMedia