Image

an Invicta motorcycle combination by A. Barnett

The 'Invicta' was the name given to a cycle and motorcycle developed in Coventry.

In 1912, former Singer Director Arthur Barnett decided to set up his own company under the name of A. Barnett & Co. Ltd. at the High Street, Coventry. Here he began making cycles and motorcycles under the 'Invicta' name.

In 1918/19 he joined forces with his son-in-law Gordon Francis of the Lea Francis Company, establishing the business of Francis-Barnett - motorcycle manufacturers. Although the new Francis-Barnett business began the manufacture of their own light-weight motorcycles, they also continued to market the Invicta machine for a few years more until it was steadily phased out.

Francis-Barnett themselves continued to manufacture motorcycles in Coventry until 1964 before relocating to Birmingham.
Culture Coventry Limited; Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 8359113; Registered under the Charities Act 1960, Registration No. 1152899
Culture Coventry Ventures Limited - Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 5263892
Culture Coventry Events Limited – Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 8108478
Registered Offices – Herbert Art Gallery & Museum, Jordan Well, Coventry CV1 5QP

Cookie Policy  || Copyright 2012 || Designed by LightMedia