Image

An Acme motorcycle outfit of 1918. The company lasted until 1933.

The Acme Motor Company were a business of motorcycle manufacturers established at Earlsdon, Coventry at the beginning of the 20th Century.

Established in 1902, Acme's first motor-bicycles were fitted with 2 hp Minerva engines, Auto-motors, and later, engines of their own design and manufacture.

In 1908 they entered two motorcycles in only the 2nd Isle of Man Tourist Trophy race to be staged. By 1911, they also began making side-cars alongside a range of motorcycles of varying engine sizes.

In 1920 the company changed its name to 'Coventry Acme', but just two years later, merged with Earlsdon neighbours the Rex Motor Manufacturing Company to form Rex-Acme.

Rex-Acme continued to manufacture motorcycles until closure in 1933. Examples of their machines are now very hard to come by.
Culture Coventry Limited; Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 8359113; Registered under the Charities Act 1960, Registration No. 1152899
Culture Coventry Ventures Limited - Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 5263892
Culture Coventry Events Limited – Registered in Cardiff, Wales, No. 8108478
Registered Offices – Herbert Art Gallery & Museum, Jordan Well, Coventry CV1 5QP

Cookie Policy  || Copyright 2012 || Designed by LightMedia